Monday, October 12, 2015

VTC - Virtual Training Company - Review

What you care about right now is getting or keeping your job. Right? As a contractor, your job is to knock it out of the park so you can get hired, right?  If you suck at interviews or they just don't have the permanent position available, may I suggest, VTC. After playing in Java and HTML with a lot of system administration in my background, it made sense that I could pick up this contract with IBM for web analytics... but become the tech support for their product and knock it out of the park... required a lot more back end research in Unix, SQL and then running the Akamai log game every freaking day.  So, I jumped online and found a good source of training for those first few nights to get me up to warp speed. It was cheap too - $30 for a month of unlimited access. Here is what I did:

http://www.vtc.com/

I took a few more that I didn't bookmark for some reason but it was fast enough to get through in a few nights. The gent teaching it was easy to understand, which is important to say because in 2008, youtube wasn't well populated. Now in 2015, anyone can write a tutorial and post it with some pretty graphics... that doesn't mean they are any good at teaching, speaking, organizing information, or speaking English. These things come in handy when you are in a hurry. If you are anything like me, I have no patience for digression, snails pace, vlog screens or virtual zombie games to teach me a language. Just give me the awk, sed, grep, ifconfig and make my life tick.

End of plug. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment