Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Post Mortem 2014

A year ago, I was posting on Twitter, helping out with someone's fan site out of Spain, and thinking about going back to work. I had two kids under 5 who were just about ready to start school. I didn't like the options for school and thought maybe I would be a better mentor for them as a preparatory teacher for their first year in public school. There were so many conversations about the cost and value of private vs. public school in our house. I was in the middle of getting my head back in the game of internet language so I could restart my career. This time last year, my last post:

I completed 'Level 6 ActiveModelSerializers 2' on Rails 4: Patterns via  I completed 'Level 6 ActiveModelSerializers 2' on Rails 4: Patterns via

It was two months later I would find out I was pregnant and sick as a dog. No more ability to sit upright, see straight, read to my children or even lay down without wanting to throw up. So we made due. I returned the homeschool materials to A.C.E. and gave my kids full access to their tablets, my phone, their Leap pads and apologized just about every day, at least once, for being sick. Handling that information about being pregnant was just matter of fact. You can't put it back. I don't do the abortion thing. I was highly at risk for several complications... and worried. But I also didn't care. There was nothing I could do but let things just roll. So we did. The kids had really great questions and I answered them freely. My husband stepped up his game, taking on more responsibilities at home to make it easier on me. He set his mind in motion about doing well at work to keep food on the table and paychecks flowing. It's just what we do.

A year later, almost to the day, here I am in this space, wanting to share again. I totally want to do the coding thing. What part I'm still figuring out, but this is my space where I will share that journey. As a former Tech Support Engineer, I enjoyed web analytics, knowledge management and rolling out new projects. Being under pressure is my kind of fun. So here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment