Saturday, October 10, 2015

Git it Girl

Watching Iron Man tonight reminds me of the many versions, attempts, hacks and wonders of technology we experience before the bad guys get to it. I suspect there will be some tough changes in the future involving artificial intelligence. We already have Alexa, the Amazon Echo, telling jokes to my kids in the morning and helping us with a weather forecast and some home automation stuff. Anyway, back to collaboration.

I told myself I would learn github this week. I ran into a snag.

I started here:

http://lifehacker.com/5983680/how-the-heck-do-i-use-github

But got this failure message during configuration:

Agreeing to the Xcode/iOS license requires admin privileges, please re-run as root via sudo.

Guess I was missing an update in my Xcode. Now don't get all security scared. You agree to running the git application so the machine needs your permission to run the app. Here is the best answer on that from StackOverflow:

You don't need admin privileges to run Xcode or git. You need admin privileges to agree to the terms of the Xcode EULA in order to use its applications--which git does (and you did when you installed the application). Privilege escalation here is akin to sites asking for the 3-4 digit security code on the back of your credit card. After agreeing, you don't need admin privileges anymore

Source: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26197347/agreeing-to-the-xcode-ios-license-requires-admin-privileges-please-re-run-as-r

Anyway, 107mb of updates later, it's late enough in the evening that Github will have to wait.... yet... another.... night...

On another note, I have not installed El Capitan.  I'm waiting for that to shake out first... Hope they didn't push an update on a Friday afternoon like young tikes might do once in awhile. We've all done it. It happens. Helps to just let it go and try to always be patient with your own work and be open enough to have someone check yours before you go pushing stuff out there. Some day I hope to use that advice wisely. Until then,

"It's not about me. It's not about you, either. It's about legacy, the legacy left behind for future generations. It's not about us!." - Tony Stark, Iron Man 2



No comments:

Post a Comment